Tuesday, 9 March 2010

Goldings Fire.


A couple of old pics from the early 1980s when fire ripped through No 19/20 Commercial Street
Golding's Ironmongers.
The fire occurred on the evening of the 8th December 1983 and these pics were taken the morning after,If anyone has anymore information please contact me on. oldhereford@gmail.com
Pictures; Andrew Wigmore


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I worked for Goldings from 1953 to 1980 ( on the Petroleum side ) the fire took place on the night on Thursday 8th December 1983. We had been to dancing classes in St Nicholas Street and went afterwards for a drink at the Rosegardens comming
home down Holmer Road we saw the smoke. I believe the last person on the premises was the floor cleaner he used to go in after closing to clean and polish the floor.

Lavinar Ascott said...

I remember the Goldings Fire as my father Bill Evans was the cleaner and the last person on the premises every evening and of course the evening of the fire, as a child I couldn't believe that my father had been questioned by the police, the fire which started after my father left the shop was caused by faulty xmas tree lights that were always left on through the night.

Anonymous said...

The building is now occupied by Waterstones if I'm not mistaken.

Anonymous said...

I remember this night. My parents and I had just come form Aylestone School's parents evening and Dad was in his best suit. As we travelled down Blue Coat Street dad who was a fireman, leapt out of the car, tossed the keys to mum and said see you later. He had managed to locate spare kit on one of the engines and helped out.

Anonymous said...

I was 13 and remember listening to the police radio (on FM) on that night. There were gas cylinders going off and it was very exciting for a young lad. I remember the fire engines went to the wrong location when the fire had just started.

Anonymous said...

I was one of the first fire fighters to attend.Gained entry via the rear door. Very intense as lpg was involved.We made a very good stop and saved the street as i remember.The pub over the road supplied us with food and drinks.Very intense fire. Glad i was with my buddy at the time.