Saturday, 6 August 2011
The Old House 1873
This is a lovely old picture of "The Old House" in Hereford's High Town thought to have been taken about 1873.The picture shows 2 local business's in the old building "Oatfield's Hardware Store" and "Fletcher the Fishmongers". The property was one time part of a row of business's know as "Butcher's Row" which was demolished at the beginning of the 19th century.The picture has other local interest as the young boy standing with his father on the left Mr. Matthew C. Oatfield Snr was later to become in 1921 the 541st Mayor of Hereford, Mr. Matthew Curnow Oatfield Jr.The lady standing next to them is Jane (Poole) who was later married to Mr. Oatfield Snr.
Many Thanks to Mr David Hall for information and picture.
Please feel free to leave any comments here or on our Facebook page.